[OM] Death of Film - Not!

Subject: [OM] Death of Film - Not!
From: Clendon Gibson <bsandyman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 06:44:24 -0800 (PST)
I just thought I would throw in my two cents on this.

Film will never die. The reason is that no matter how
good the technology, CCD elements will never be as
small as the particals on the film we all use.

At best you may be able to get CCD paccked tightly
enough together that, for the same size print, the
unaided human eye cannot tell the difference. This
breaks down the instant you want to do a blow up.

The future for these two mediums is simple. Each will
be used where the inherent gualities of the medium
best serve. Digital will be used where speed, or
geography (i.e. distance from the lab) make this a
better choice. The best example of this is perhaps the
Voyager space probe. Film will dominate where artistic
concerns are of interest. For instance CCD does not
currently have the dynamic range of film. Imagine
trying to get a shot that has subtle shaddings with
your digital camera.

That's my two cents.