Re: [OM] Pen halfframe

Subject: Re: [OM] Pen halfframe
From: "skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 09:45:33 -0500
Cc: "machiel.botman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <machiel.botman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
What do you want to do with the camera, how much do you want to spend, and how
much capability do you want:

Look here for a list of resources:
http://www.skipwilliams.com/olympus/non_om.htm

My picks for the best blend:  One with full focusing lenses and CDS meter.
That means a D2, D3, or EED.  E-series cameras had mostly zone focusing.
Selenium meters are usually unreliable, but OK if you can ignore them and meter
manually.  (Info below from the Sub Club site).

Pen D
(1962-1966)  This was basically a more advanced model of the Pen/Pen S.  It had
a meter (built into the body), a much faster, six-element lens, and a much
wider range of shutter speeds.  The lens was a focusing 32mm (f1.9 - 16.0) with
click-stops at four and ten foot settings.  Closest focusing was 2.6 feet.
Shutter speeds were B, 1/8 - 1/500.  A flash shoe was not built-in, but a flash
bracket was available (and probably came with every camera).  The meter was a
selenium type, with a little EV /needle readout window on the top of the
camera. PC contact, cable release socket and tripod socket. Film speed 10 -
400.  An accessory copy attachment was available. It used the same filter
thread size as the Pen F series -- 43mm.

Pen D2
(1964-1965) Same as Pen D, but with a CDS meter.  This made the camera three
stops more sensitive than the original.  The film speed stayed the same: 10 -
400. Uses one 625 battery.
(Further info on the D2 at http://www.cameraquest.com/olypend2.htm.

Pen D3
(1965-1969) Same as Pen D2, but with an even faster lens (f1.7). Uses one 675
battery.

Olympus Pen EED
(1967-1972) A melding of the Pen E series, the Pen F series and the Pen D
series, this camera took the lens from the Pen D and put it on a camera body
like the Pen F with the easy automatic exposure system of the Pen E series.
The Pen E's lacked fast lenses and slow shutter speeds, while the Pen D's
lacked automatic exposure.  This camera turned everything around. It has a 32mm
(f1.7-22.0) manually-focusing lens with a CDS exposure system.  Close-focusing
to 2.6 feet.  Speeds from 1/15-1/500.  The aperture and shutter speed are
automatically selected by the meter in a programmed exposure system, from 1/15
at f1.7 to 1/500 at f16.  It was one of the first cameras to offer this
exposure method.  You still select the f-stops in flash mode, as with most Pen
E cameras.  Built in flash shoe, PC contact, cable release socket and
self-timer.  Film speeds 12 - 400.  It uses a 625 battery, and takes a 43mm
filter.

Skip