Re: [OM] Digital Back for Zuikos/ film death watch

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Back for Zuikos/ film death watch
From: "skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 11:30:03 -0500
This is the old Silicon Film vaporware product that keeps resurfacing to
attract more venture capital  Many of us doubt it really exists and is
practical.  I've seen it in various incarnations for 3 years.

Long ago I gave up on a digital back for my OM system.  It just isn't going to
happen!  There's no business rationale for anyone to sink the money into the
tooling necessary.  Even the OM lens mounts are already dead except for the
Tamron MF lens line (whose days are numbered).

IMO, your best bet is to buy a pro-sumer digital P&S or spring for a Nikon,
Canon, or Fuji body if you REALLY want digital.  You could also wait for the
Contax N1 digital, which will be sky-high in price.

ME?  I'm probably going to buy a Nikon 880 or 990 in 2001 and use it like a
high-end P&S.  My other imaging will be done with film via my OM's, Pen FT's,
Leica's, and old Rangefinders.  I'll scan the resulting film.

Just my $.02

Skip