[OM] Lunar eclipse - report from the front line

Subject: [OM] Lunar eclipse - report from the front line
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 20:42:36 +0000
Wheres that Provia?

Ah! - in the fridge.

Damn, condensation - no wait, I took a roll out this morning - you
beautayyy!

Load film - exit - front door.

Bother! - haze.

I can see Jupiter, Saturn and some stars and a bit of surface detail on
the old man but there would be haze, wouldn't there?

Set up Benbo 1 tripod, affix 300/4.5 + 1.4x TC + OM4-Ti, point in right
direction, tighten ball head.

Lets get some lead-in shots - centre moon in spot metering circle of 2-4
screen - glad for the umpteenth time I didn't get a centrally encumbered
and obscured 2-13 - focus - press shutter release to activate meter -
press spot meter button - position self timer switch - press shutter
release.

Beep, beep, beep... click..clunk

Lets get another

Re-centre moon as it has moved a bit now - take a spot reading of the
moon - press shutter release

Beep, beep, beep.......................

What the ?! - double bother - move shutter speed ring to manual 60

Clunk

Remove camera from lens and go back in side.

You do have some spare batteries don't you?

Remove gadget bag from camera case - unzip - tip contents on floor - open
filter case that is supposed to contain spare batteries and a pound coin.

Yes! - two sets.

Install new batteries and exit front door again.

Attach camera to lens.

Take another shot.

Beep, beep, beep.....click.....clunk

Relief.

Re-position anticipating where the moon will be shortly.

Wait for totality, wait, wait - where's that spot metering circle gone?

Totality.

Must be about there - beep

Press shutter release.

beep, beep, beep....click.................clunk

A couple more shots and I was done.

At f4.5, with Provia 100F  and spot metering on the moon the exposure time
was about 6-7 seconds I estimate.  The results will probably not be very
good due to the haze but I suppose it was better than full overcast.

Giles - yet to re-pack the gadget case.