Re: [OM] FILM -> DIGITAL

Subject: Re: [OM] FILM -> DIGITAL
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 15:52:45 EST
While I personally feel film and digital will co-exist for quite some time, I
venture a guess to at least the next 20 years (I would have guessed more like
40 years but the speed of the way things change in this computer world
worries me somewhat). What *will* happen, -you can bet the ranch on it,- is
as soon as digital starts to overtake film, the price of film will jump and
it'll jump again and again. You may have your choice of film for a long time,
but at what price? And with digital's price ever dropping ...  and what if
the environmentalists suddenly attack film users because of the chemicals
used... you see where I'm going...? Many factors *could* combine to hasten
film's demise.

George S.

 atk@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< My biggest fear is while Journalist don't need film (esp for 4x6) -- their
 switch will raise the price of film/processing and encourage manufactures to
 discontinue films (because Journalist provide a lot of the 'bulk' purchase/
 processing that takes place).