Re: [OM] Death of Film - Not!

Subject: Re: [OM] Death of Film - Not!
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 21:50:18
Maybe this thread should be retitled "Dearth of Film - Not!"

Here in North Central Texas consumer grade slide film is readily available at Wal-mart, Eckerd and many supermarkets. Typically available are Kodak Elite Chrome in 100-400, Fuji Sensia II 100. Even Kodachrome 64 persists, rather like a dandelion - every time I think a store's quit carrying it, the stuff reappears.

These stores also stock Kodak Black & White+ (I guess T400CN has been discontinued by Kodak, altho' I don't see a bit of difference in the emulsions). Heck, Wal-mart even carries Tri-X (so does Eckerd) and T-Max.

My favorite all-around color print film, Fuji Superia X-tra 800, is readily available, thanks due to P&Ss with slowish zooms. The only serious complain I have is that Eckerd carries only Kodak films, and no supermarket, pharmacy or discount store carries Agfa, other than Walgreen's house brand film.

Another gripe: these stores charge as much as $6 a roll for a 24-exposure roll of Sensia, when I can get a 36-exposure roll of Provia from a pro shop for five bucks.

Compared with my experiences in the New York City and 'burbs megaplex during the late '60s-early '70s when I first got into 35mm photography, things are pretty good nowadays film-wise. Back then it was damned difficult to find a decent selection of 35mm film anywhere except a camera shop. About the only films the grocery stores, pharmacies and discount stores carried were 126 Instamatic and some rollfilm for Brownies, etc.