Re: [OM] Aircraft ammunition pictures [OT for Oly list] Artillery sub

Subject: Re: [OM] Aircraft ammunition pictures [OT for Oly list] Artillery sub topic
From: rtomcala <rtomcala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 20:10:43 -0500
The range on the 16" naval rifles on board the battleships was a little
in excess of 20 miles (~32 km).  The sounds of the aircraft canon that
you are referring to generally are too rapid to discern individual
explosions.  The 20 mm is what I am most familiar with, and it sounds
almost like a monstrous big sheet ripping.  It's more of a sustained
noise than a series of big bangs.
Rand E.