Re: [OM] Tokina 90mm Macro

Subject: Re: [OM] Tokina 90mm Macro
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 16:24:08 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Albert Yang wrote:

> I'm looking to buy a tokina 90mm macro lens, I was wondering if
> someone had the lens and would be nice enough to:
>
> 1)  Email me a picture of it

I don't have one of those, but..

> 2)  Possibly email me a few pics taken from it

There are a few on my website.  Not strictly macro shots, though.

http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/~cpian/music/pics/is18.jpg
http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/~cpian/music/pics/is22.jpg
http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/~cpian/landnat/pics/bcegnarly.jpg
http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/~cpian/landnat/pics/bcenettle.jpg
http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/~cpian/landnat/pics/bceperiwinkle.jpg

Were definitely taken with it.

> 3)  Tell me how much they love/hate it

One of my favourite lenses.  Someone on this list once mentioned that
the design was optimised for best results at a magnification of 1:6, at
which setting the long side of a frame would represent 9 inches, about
the height of an adult human head.... which means it's quite a good
portrait lens too.

> 4)  Explain the extension for a 1:1 macro to me...  I assume this is
> an adapter???

The built-in helicoid, although much longer than for a normal telephoto,
will only extend the lens far enough for a magnification of 1:2.  To get
1:1 you need to add an extension tube.  I have a set of Vivitar auto
extension tubes to do this.  IIRC I need all three of them to get right
up to 1:1.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
| |   | |   | |             http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/~cpian/          |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |