[OM] [OT] Analog & vinyl vs. digital & CD

Subject: [OM] [OT] Analog & vinyl vs. digital & CD
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 22:45:13
I occasionally drag out my "old" vinyl to prove that musical styles just go 'round and 'round:

'Missing Persons' (late '70s-early '80s) = 'No Doubt' (mid '90s-now);

'The Clash' (then) = 'Green Day' (now)

'The Hollies' (then) = 'Collective Soul' (now)

And, of course, Lenny Kravitz wantstabe John Lennon.

'The Toadies' ... well, I'm not sure there has been anything quite like them ... maybe Screamin' Jay Hawkins.

Nuthin' wrong with any of this. Most of these musicians provide a fresh take on the old stuff. But couldn't we really, really do without another incarnation of all - boy / all - girl - producer - created - vocal - group - Frankenstein - monster? I think so.

On a somewhat OMish note, if the great concert photographers of the '60s were still around, would they even bother to cover today's crop of wannabe's?
Lex Jenkins
"Yeah. Me. Baby. Love. Dig. More. Night. All. You. She. Car. My. Her. Top. Down." - Assemble it yourself rock song

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 10:02:54 -0000
From: Sam Shiell <Sam.Shiell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

...I do still occasionally get my old '70 records out (..Led Zeppelin, Jimmy Hendrix etc) to embarrass the kids with. What fun!