[OM] Re: Do you like your P&S?

Subject: [OM] Re: Do you like your P&S?
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 23:19:00
I pretty well agree with your sentiments, Ray. After trying several P&Ss ranging from full-featured zoomers to the XA2 and XA3 (sans flash), I'm inclined to stick with a fixed focal length model with a good, reasonably fast lens. If it has a flash, so much the better. The priority is, will it fit in a pocket easily and not make me regret having toted it around if I don't take a photo all day? The XAs cover that well enough.

If I decide to replace it with an AF P&S, for my tastes something like a Stylus Epic, Yashica T4 or Ricoh GRsumpin' is about right. 'Course I'd like a li'l Minolta TC2 (can I say that here?), but I could buy a good used truck for that price...

My ideal P&S would either have a silent winder or a thumbwheel winder like the XAs. Dunno why 35mm P&Ss can't make winders silent like the APS versions. AF would be backed up by manual zone focus in case the battery died. Likewise the autoexposure would be backed up by a single shutter speed and a choice of three or so f/stops.

Sounds like I'm describing the TC2 again...
Lex Jenkins
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day."

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 02:25:00 -0800 (PST)
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>

...Do other listees have similar feelings about P&S cameras?