Re: [OM] Tripods

Subject: Re: [OM] Tripods
From: Mike Butler <abutler@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 15:21:42 -0800
Bill wrote:
<snip>
        I need a new (or used) primary tripod and head and would like to find
something that will hold my camera and a 400 mm or 500 mm lens "rock
solid".
<snip>

Bill
        I have yet to find such a tripod but I have found that the tripod head
if at least half the problem.  I am very happy with the Bogen 3047 with
hex quick release tripod head.  I find at the track I spend most of the
time on the mono pod with a rugged pan and tilt modified to use the
Bogen hex plate.
        From the limited research I have done you may want to look at the Bogen
3401 or 3221 I have heard good things about them.  I am saving up for
the 3401.  If you want something more rugged do a web search on Losmandy
Equatorial Mounts, if these are too small I want to see your lens <grin>

Mike Butler
Dublin, California

P.S.  Depleted Uranium is also a fantastic ballast material.  At 19 g/cc
it is almost three times denser than steel and almost twice that of
lead.  Unfortunately the International Yacht Racing Assoc. declared
anything denser than lead illegal.  So it went from being "Unaffordium"
to "Unobtainium"  Oh well such is racing.