Re: [OM] Quartz recorddata

Subject: Re: [OM] Quartz recorddata
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 15:28:30 -0800
?ClassicVW@xxxxxxx wrote:

 The Contax N-1 uses new autofocus lenses. The N-1 also can use the Medium
 format lenses of the Contax 645 system (with adapter). The new digital body
 is called a "sister" to the N-1 by Contax. Since it's CCD or CMOS semsor
 covers the regular 24X36 image area, (six megapixel range) it's a good bet
that the new body will use the N-1s autofocus lenses. Otherwise, Contax would
 have to provide a third line of lenses (fourth if you count the manual focus
 line) which is unreasonable and certainly not cost-effective for them. Yes,
 Contax lense are pricey, always have been, that comes as no surprise,
 although I don't know the prices of the new lenses.

 George S.

I heard the 50/1.4AF for N-1 cost over $600 and 24-85AF cost over
$1200. Most likely the lenses for N-1 is also for new digital body.
Even the image sensor is 24x36, you may not be able to benefit from
the super wide of 18mm or something, because the price will be sky
high ;-)

C.H.Ling

The standard normal lens for the OM is the 50mm/F1.2 sells for $439 and the 35-85/2.8 sells for $1199 at B&H. The rumored price for the N-1 lenses do not seem that different, especially considering new tooling for a low volume/high quality lens maker. I am sure that if Olympus did a new normal lens design, their price would go up too. Many of us are just spoiled by the prices of used equipment which you cannot expect on a brand new system.

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA