[OM] Re: Tripods

Subject: [OM] Re: Tripods
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 23:37:54
The least expensive solution would be a Slik U212 Deluxe tripod with their lens caddy. This is an extendable arm that fits into an accessory shoe on one of the tripod legs. The other end is designed to support your long lens. Simple, inexpensive and surprisingly effective according to tests conducted by Herbert Keppler in a Pop Photo article a couple of years ago.

While I don't have the lens caddy (no real need for it), I have had the Slik U212 for a few years now and can recommend it as a good, lightweight budget tripod. Mine has held up extremely well despite some initial misgivings about the plastic leg clamps and mostly plastic head - it's all very sturdy tho'.

The more expensive, and possibly better, solution would be the Bogen/Manfrotto long lens support. This does pretty much the same thing as the Slik version (altho' I think it's designed so that the long lens will be mounted on the tripod head, while the camera body itself is mounted on the added support arm - I might be wrong).

Since both solutions involve adding only a single extra aluminum tube as a support arm, relatively little weight is added.

I've kludged together a similar device using an extendable aluminum pole (designed for window washing). I made an adaptor from a PVC plumbing joint to fit on one end of the pole. To it I duct-taped (gotta love that stuff) a lightweight ball-and-socket tripod mount. On the floor end I use a soft, grippy rubber foot to prevent slipping. My only lens with a tripod mount is an old Vivitar 300mm f/5.6 preset. Adjusting the entire rig ain't fast, but it's good enough for situations like waiting for hummingbirds to light on a feeder, etc.
Lex Jenkins
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day."

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 08:48:30 EST
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx

...would like to find something that will hold my camera and a 400 mm or 500 mm lens "rock solid"...