Re: [OM] Battery Nomenclature

Subject: Re: [OM] Battery Nomenclature
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 19:19:16 +0000
At 12:25 1/10/01, Mickey asked:
Does anyone understand the cross reference of battery names? I believe the OM-2 manual calls for EP-76. I haven't seen that anywhere, but an EPX-76 crosses to a 357. Is an SR-44 equivilent to a 357? What is an SR-44W or SR-44SW? Which is right for my OM-2? I suppose it has to do with drain characteristics.

Thanks,
Mickey

Mickey,
Here are the specs on cells from the OM FAQ. The mercury cells listed in the far right column are for the OM-1[n], the rest are for the other OM's:

        OM-2[n,S]/3[ti]/4[T,ti]/10/20/30/40    |  M-1/OM-1[n]
-----------------------------------------------|-------------
        ANSI Spec.  1131SO    1107SOP   1166A  |  1124MP
        IEC Spec.   SR44      SR44      LR44   |  MR9
        Chemistry   AgO       AgO       Alk.   |  Mercury

        Bulova      228                        |
        Duracell    D357      MS76      PX76A  |   PX625
        Eveready    357       EPX76     A76    |   EPX625
        Kodak       KS76      KA76      KX625  |
        Maxell      SR44W     SR44P     LR44P  |
        Panasonic   SP357     G13       LR44   |   H-D
        Rayovac     357       RS76      LR44   |   RPX625
        Renata      357                        |
        Seiko       SR44W                      |
        Timex       J                          |
        Toshiba     SR44W     SR44      LR44   |   MR9
        Varta       V357      V76PX     V13GA  |   V625PX

Note the difference in the ANSI spec between the first and second column. They are both AgO (Silver Oxide). The difference is subtle, and the cells are interchangeable, but the first column are designed for a small continuous drain as one might find in a watch or clock. They are slightly friendlier in the OM-2S/4[T,ti] that have a continuous drain.

The third column is alkalines. Neither these nor lithiums should be used in the OM's, especially the OM-2S/4[T,ti]. A gradual voltage falloff kicks in as they are used. It will cause metering to drift, and in the later bodies I listed they will fail sooner as a result (mirror-lockup).

There is also a 3 Volt alkaline the same size as two LR44's, and I've been told there is also a lithium like this too. I don't believe there is an AgO equivalent, at least I've never seen one. Sometimes you find one of these in an OM body in place of the normal pair. They should not be used either, for the same reasons as not using the LR44's.

-- John