Re: [OM] Cold weather tricks

Subject: Re: [OM] Cold weather tricks
From: Eric Goodell <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 13:46:27 -0500
Here's another tip for cold weather shooting: do it at night, when your
camera doesn't need any juice because it's on Bulb. Do the metering while
the batteries are still warm enough.

It just so happens that last night (full moon or close to it) I did some
shooting in the icy cold (well, 25 deg. is cold in Virginia). For what it's
worth, I got 128 sec exposures at f=5.6 w/100 ASA fuji hq print film (incl
reciprocity failure). The moon was really bright.

To make the photo look "dark," under-expose 1 stop for print film, or
1/3-2/3 (?) for slide film.

To meter, set your ASA to 3200, and your lens wide open. Then recalculate
accordingly (1f/stop click = 1 click on shutterspeed = a doubling or
halving of film speed). If the exposure is over a minute, double it for
reciprocity failure (film needs it at long exposures).

Interestingly, my 2S wouldn't give a reading below 1/30 sec at 2.8 @3200
even in pitch black, while my om4 seemed to give a much more reliable
reading. I have also had good luck with the OM-G's low light metering w/
above method.

And yes, my hands froze mostly due to handling the tripod, I'll have to try
the insulation, what an excellent idea!!

Happy shooting,
Eric