Re: [OM] Do you like your P&S?........

Subject: Re: [OM] Do you like your P&S?........
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 19:15:04 -0800 (PST)
TMLee wrote:
Dear Ray..... Well, I do not share the same sentiment here.....
I LOVE my Minilux (Summarit 40/2.4 lens - not the zoom version)...... I
bought it before the zoom was created......
What I like about the Minilux ?
1    the fast lens 40/2.4
2    teh Aperture priority capability.... I often set to f2.4 and
shoot.....
3    the flash is powerful...
4    the pics it produces are fantastic.....

What is it are U developing an aversion to.. ?
Dear TM, My P&S camera is the Leica Mini Zoom, not the Minilux. It's
much cheaper and than yours and it doesn't have aperture priority, only
full program with no info about the shutter speed or aperture selected
by the camera. It also has a rather slow variable aperture zoom lens of
f/5.6 to 7.5 (if I remember rightly). As I said, that lens is sharp and
has good contrast but is very prone to flare. I shouldn't have chosen a
zoom, I realise that now.

My problem is that I've been spoiled by using SLRs over the past 20
years or so. I've been used to WYSIWYG and having control over choice
of lens, focus, aperture and shutter speed. I can SEE depth of field
because of the SLR's ground glass screen. I can try different settings
of aperture and/or shutter speed for the same subject, if I'm not sure.
I can also control the position and direction of the flash. I'm not
happy to relinquish control of these things. I've got to the point
where I doubt if I'll get what I want with the P&S. That makes me
reluctant to take the shot and not to look forward all that much to
seeing the reults. It's a bit like a rifle-shooter developing a flinch
- what I referred to an an aversion!

Now, if I had a P&S camera that had manual focusing with split-image
rangefinder, depth of field scale on the lens, selectable aperture (AE)
or fully manual exposure control, moving framelines to offset parallax
for close focusing, a hot shoe for external flash, coupled lightmeter
(not necessarily TTL), then I think I could live with it. It wouldn't
be a substitute for an SLR but at least I'd have a chance to make it do
what I think it should do. Trouble is, to get those specifications it's
necessary to go back to cameras made 25 years or more ago, or else to
invest in something expensive like a Leica M.

Hope that explains my problem!

Regards,

=====
Ray