Re: [OM] Battery Nomenclature

Subject: Re: [OM] Battery Nomenclature
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 19:38:50 -0800 (PST)
John O'Regan wrote:
Any Opinions on LR44? I use them in OM4Ti, OM30, OM10. No real problem.
John,

Do you use slide film? If not, you may not be aware of the problem
because print film and the printing process are very forgiving.
However, what happens is that the voltage of LR44s, which are alkaline
cells, declines with usage and the camera's exposure accuracy suffers.
There is no voltage regulator in the battery circuit of OM cameras
(probably not enough voltage to spare, since only two cells are used),
so accurate battery voltage is critical for accurate exposures. Silver
oxides behave better, maintaining a fairly constant voltage over their
life-span.

Incidentally, I recently noticed that my OM-2S was set to a film speed
of 400 ISO although it had a 200 Fuji Superia (colour print) film
inside. This was after 20 exposures. I reset it correctly to 200 ISO
for the remaining 16 frames. The results were beautiful - no noticeable
image problems at all and no discernable difference in the prints at
the point I changed the camera's film speed setting. This demonstrated
to me the latitude of the colour printing process and the ability of
that film, at least, to yield good colour density and contrast even
when 2/3 of it had been under-exposed by a full f-stop.

Regards,

=====
Ray