[OM] Tripods - one shooter's recommendations for med-duty set up

Subject: [OM] Tripods - one shooter's recommendations for med-duty set up
From: Dogbreath <hopi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 23:19:54 -0500
I've found the best value in tripods for small through large format (press
cameras only) to be the following combo:

Legs: Bogen 3221

Strong, tall, convertable (crucial), cheap. These legs are now also
available in what's called a Wilderness Edition - they've got padded legs,
which is nice, and they come with spiked feet, also nice (if not
essential). Also, these are the only legs that don't weigh a ton yet can
still extend tall enough for a 6'2" shooter. Nothing is worse than sticks
that are too short! About $70 new.

Head: Bogen 308RC

This is a "Pro" ball head that can handle even full-sized MF cameras, and I
even use it for my Super Graphic 4x5. It's smooth and locks positively, has
sensible controls and costs a fraction of something like an Arca Swiss. Can
be had from B&H for $50 I believe.

Yeah, I dream about the Gizto carbon fiber legs, but you just can't beat
Bogen for value. And as for the truly pro heads, the only thing they have
on the Bogen alternatives is that they don't deviate even the slightest
amount when you lock them. That's something that can be annoying with Bogen
heads, but you learn to work around it.

Hope this is at least marginally uselful info.

DB