[OM] Re: Please recommend parts cleaner/solvent

Subject: [OM] Re: Please recommend parts cleaner/solvent
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:13:07
Ronson lighter fluid is a pretty good solvent, tho' flammable. So is paint thinner. Just take reasonable precautions working with the stuff (no open flames, good ventilation). Both dry "clean" without leaving any residue of their own. I'd avoid toluene and acetone - too volatile and/or unsafe to breathe.

Trichlor is a great final degreaser once the bulk of the crud has been removed. It evaporates too quickly to be useful for removing gobs of goo. Problem is the only consumer source of it I can think of is in Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber, a large white aerosol can available in sporting goods departments. It reportedly causes damage to the ozone layer so it may not be available at all any more. (If you can find the stuff it's also a great dry cleaner for clothing.)