Re: [OM] Re: [OT] What is photography?

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] What is photography?
From: "Mickey Trageser" <mickeytr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:50:37 -0800
Someone else responded that the pinhole is not a lens because you don't
focus it. I view it as a fixed focus lens. It channels the light without the
benefit of a focus ring. One must do what was done with bellows cameras:
adjust the lens to filmplane distance to focus.

I can agree that the scanner is a 'photo' process from the standpoint of
capturing photons on some light sensitive plane, but the act of taking a
photograph requires a compositional eye. The scanner precludes this. Sure,
you can get a preview, but not without scanning. I really am having a hard
time explaining the link of the photographer, the camera and the subject
coming together. Understanding exposure, lighting, emulsions, shadow details
etc. Try changing the lighting angle on a scanner! How about selecting a
focal length? No way to select perspective. There is more to it than landing
light on a sensitive surface and presenting that result. Granted, there is a
challenge to make an artful image with the scanner. I just can't call it
phophophotototogggrraphy....

Mickey
PS- if you have adopted the scanner as your 'photographic' method, please
send me all your useless cameras and their lenses. thanks