Re: [OM] Re: [OT] What is photography?

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] What is photography?
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 16:04:31 -0500
>Someone else responded that the pinhole is not a lens because you don't
>focus it. I view it as a fixed focus lens. It channels the light without the
>benefit of a focus ring. One must do what was done with bellows cameras:
>adjust the lens to filmplane distance to focus.

It's a little more complicated than that. There are several web sites that
explain the physics of a pinhole. Basically, yes, you have a "focal length"
but with effectively infinite depth of field but low resolution. Pinholes are
very far from APO devices also, color film will produce halos, so B&W is
commonly used. I built a pinhole 4x5 that I've never used, since I don't have
the means to calibrate the home made pinhole, and no way to develop the film.
I was going to get a polaroid 4x5 film back but lost interest. I built
the....dang, can't remember his name right now....the guy that sells the
cherry wood 4x5 and 8x10 kits out of PA in USA. Anyway, pinhole viewing and
photography has been around a very long time.....

--
Be Seeing You.
Dirk Wright