Re: [OM] Aircraft ammunition pictures [OT for Oly list] Artillery sub

Subject: Re: [OM] Aircraft ammunition pictures [OT for Oly list] Artillery sub topic
From: "W. J. Liles" <wliles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:11:15 -0600
Chris Barker wrote:

> I take your point(s) Jerry.  I did not realise that the muzzle
> velocity would be so high.  It must be in the tank guns alone that
> the whooshing noise gave me the impression of hearing the round
> travel up the barrel.
>
> Chris
> --

Chris I suspect you may have heared the bore evacuator.  There is a
collar around the barrel of most guns on armored vehicles.  This is
actually a hollow chamber that connects to the barrel through a series
of holes.  When the gun is fired high pressure gas fills the chamber, as
the round leaves the barrel and the gun recoils the breach usually
automatically opens.  The gas in the evacuator now re-enters the barrel
as a high speed jet directed toward the muzzle to cause a draft to the
muzzle to clear the powder gases and prevent them from spilling out the
breach into the cupola.  It can make a whooshing noise.  Also the round
moving down range has a whooshing sound heard from behind in the really
high velocity guns guns (up to 5000feet per second, or more) and that
may be what you heard.

Jerry