[OM] Sorry state of used gear in Jakarta

Subject: [OM] Sorry state of used gear in Jakarta
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 01:44:38 -0800 (PST)
Dear All,

I just made a trip to the "Professional Camera Exchange", quite near to
my office in Jakarta. They had a few Olympus items for sale but I
didn't bother to inquire about the prices because of the dilapidated
state of the things. They looked as though they'd been gathering dust
in a junk shop for years. :-{ The items consisted of:

1 OM-1 body with seriously scratched viewfinder lens (focusing screen
virtually invisible) and what looks like mould on the first shutter
curtain (that camera's been on sale for months)

2 OM-2 bodies, both with signs of hard wear on the body and dirty
viewfinders

1 Zuiko 55/1.2 SC lens with signs of heavy wear, sloppy aperture ring
and even sloppier focus helicoid - a wreck!

1 Zuiko 50/1.4 SC silver nose lens with aperture ring that seems about
to fall off and fungus blooming on an inner lens surface - how could I
resist? <G>

1 Zuiko 50/1.8 SC lens that is in need of a good clean but may be OK
apart from that.

The sales staff seemed reluctant to show me these items and I had to be
forceful. And they weren't in the least surprised that I wasn't
interested in buying. Yet this is the shop where I once bought a 50/5.3
macro, in what seemed to be almost brnad new condition, for only $25.
This time, I did buy myself a Lowepro Nova 4 bag (new) for $42 so the
trip wasn't entirely wasted.  :-)

Regards,

=====
Ray