Re: [OM] Do you like your P&S?

Subject: Re: [OM] Do you like your P&S?
From: Simon Evans <sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 21:57:42 GMT
I'm a little slow in responding to this topic, the digests pile up in my inbox!

Every camera type has its strengths and weaknesses. If an SLR is what you're
missing, then carry one with you. You can't expect a $100 p&s do the same,
and _definitely_ not one with a zoom that has max apertures like f5.6 and f7!

The Stylus Epic is superb, the only things I really miss are aperture
setting and manual focus (might as well have said XA). Having tried an XA3
recently, this is also a fine, underrated camera with effortless zone
focussing and a +1.5 backlight lever. If you use non-DX film you can
manually set the film speed, effectively under/overexposing at will. Both
are tiny, but the Stylus Epic is so light (190g) it's barely larger or
heavier than a packet of fags (cigarettes).

There are a couple of detailed comparisons between the Yashica T4 and Stylus
Epic on the web. IIRC the T4 was criticised for having a particularly
lethargic shutter lag. photo.net, which also has advice on buying a p&s,
reviewed the Epic last month.

>Now, if I had a P&S camera that had manual focusing with split-image
>rangefinder, depth of field scale on the lens, selectable aperture (AE)
>or fully manual exposure control, moving framelines to offset parallax
>for close focusing, a hot shoe for external flash, coupled lightmeter
>(not necessarily TTL), then I think I could live with it. It wouldn't
>be a substitute for an SLR but at least I'd have a chance to make it do
>what I think it should do. Trouble is, to get those specifications it's
>necessary to go back to cameras made 25 years or more ago, or else to
>invest in something expensive like a Leica M.

Or a Mamiya 7. Let's face it Ray, you're wanting a p&s camera that isn't
really a p&s camera at all (in the sense that it is most commonly used).
While Leicas are surely wonderful tools, isn't an OM near enough to what you
describe? Why not treat one of your OM bodies as a p&s - attach a 50mm or
35-70, and put a T20 in your pocket. I think that it would get you a greater
number of satisfactory images, which offsets the increased size & weight.
BTW a Leica M isn't much smaller or lighter, if at all.

Simon E.