Photographing wildlife (Was:: [OM] Buy OM your life may depend on it)

Subject: Photographing wildlife (Was:: [OM] Buy OM your life may depend on it)
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 15:30:39 -0700
On 12 Jan 2001, at 17:28, John A. Lind wrote:

> Hmmmm . . . could have gotten some practical application of all their
> medical training.  Polar bears are _not_ as small as their opposite colored
> cousins farther south.

LOL!!!  Not hardly!  Fully-grown male polar bears can reach 7' tall
(standing on their hind legs), and have claws that can be 2" long (or
longer)!  I don't know what they clock-out at, but I've seen them go from
lying down to full-trot-boogie at the blink of an eye.

Not something that ANYONE wants to mess with!

> ...a herd of buffalo...  They apparently look enough like cattle that
> Army personnel had to occasionally rescue someone...

I don't know 'bout the American variety, but the Canuckian buffalo don't
look *anything* like cattle.  Uhhh....  well, I suppose that both *do* have
four legs and a long tail!  :-)

> The bulls did not take kindly to anyone around the herd of cows
> (females) and would quickly become very aggressive, not to mention the
> cows which were would become just as aggressive if there were any young
> calves around.

It's probably common sense, but two VERY important tips for anyone
who's photographing wildlife are:  (1) NEVER get between a momma
and her baby, and (2) don't mess with the males!  :-)

Btw, when I was in Cambridge Bay, NWT (1992), I got chased by a
male musk ox.  (Generally, they don't attack unless you get real close
but, rather, form a circle around the young and then stamp their feet and
snort at you.)  Anyway, I was about 50 yards off...  usually a pretty safe
distance...  taking photos from the seat of my 4-wheeler when one male
decided he'd have a run at me.  I was out on the tundra about 200 yards
off the the road, and he got to about 15 yards behind me (and closing
fast) before I finally hit the road and was able to gun the 4-wheeler.  Had
he had 'nuther few yards of rough tundra to chase me, he *might* have
caught me.  VERY scary!

[Quick side note...  musk ox also *don't* look like cattle!]  :-)))

Regards,

Chris

---
Chris O'Neill (coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx)