Re: [OM] Yellow Pics

Subject: Re: [OM] Yellow Pics
From: RobBurn@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 16:30:12 EST
In a message dated 1/13/2001 11:08:17 AM, Doggre@xxxxxxx writes:

<< I'll ask the guys at the camera store about their recommendations for
films
to use.  Tungsten balanced film doesn't sound like something that one would
find at the local Safeway/drug store.... And I don't like the idea of putting
a filter on over a Zuiko and losing two f-stops.  I don't have the 50mm f/1.2
(yet...), so I want all the speed the film provides....

Got my homework cut out for me, it seems.... (of course, I could just use
flash and skip the homework). >>

Rick:

If I recall correctly, tungsten light (ordinary household bulbs) has a color
temperature of around 3400 degrees Kevin...very warm and reddish. Tungsten
(so-called *indoor*) film is designed for correct color balance with such
light sources. It has more blue in it. Daylight (or *outdoor*) film has a
color temperature of around 5200 degrees Kevin. It is designed with lots of
blue sky and sunlight in mind. It has more red to compensate for the expanse
of blue sky. But, it needs also the sunlight for proper balance. That's why
objects in shade photograph with a blue cast unless a warming filter is used.

That's also why the colors are so warm when daylight film is used indoors
without a blue correcting filter or an electronic flash with a bulb color
temperature closely matching the daylight film color requirements. You have a
warmer light source and no blue to compensate for it. You used to be able to
purchase blue photo flood bulbs with which to temporarily replace the
incandescent light bulbs in lamps, etc. This would allow the use of daylight
color film and available light photography without the blue filter. Don't
know if they are still available.

If you're not going to use tungsten (indoor) film or daylight film with
electronic flash, I think the blue compensating filter is still the simplest
way to go. Or you could look for the blue photo floods. If you are talking
about spontaneous photo taking, as opposed to posed, why don't you use a
faster film if you're concerned about the two f-stop loss the filter causes?

Or spring for that faster Zuiko lens.

In photography, as in other areas of life, we can't have our cake and eat it
too.  ;o)

Robert