Re: [OM] Yellow Pics

Subject: Re: [OM] Yellow Pics
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 18:23:02 EST
RobBurn@xxxxxxx writes:

<< If I recall correctly, tungsten light (ordinary household bulbs) has a
color
 temperature of around 3400 degrees Kevin...very warm and reddish >>

My memory is : normal domestic bulbs are more like 2800K with 3200K+ being
photo-floods, projector lamps or halogen lamps. Interestingly halogen lamps
have significant amounts of UV since the quartz envelope does not filter out
UV like glass does and the "tail" of the spectrum is larger with the higher
temperature filament. Thus halogen spot lights will fade color pictures much
more quickly than normal incandescents unless placed behind glass.

<< But, it needs also the sunlight for proper balance. That's why
objects in shade photograph with a blue cast unless a warming filter is used.

Effective "Daylight" color temperature without direct sunlight ,high cloud
obscuring sun etc can be be very high 8000K+.

                  Regards,
                 Tim Hughes