Re: [OM] Serial #s [was] Lens Coatings

Subject: Re: [OM] Serial #s [was] Lens Coatings
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 13:28:52 -0800
Clyde S. writes:

<< The following are some of the lenses that came in both SC and MC. Can
anyone provide the serial #s for the MC models?

8mm/f2.8 (MC after ???)
24mm/f2 (MC after ???)
28mm/f2 (MC after ???) >>

I've seen no primary source references identifying these as anything but
multicoated designs. All three were announced as M-System lenses in 1972
and early references had the latter two as X.Zuiko, but the M-System
examples were just prototypes and these designs didn't make it to market
till 1975 (possibly late 1974?). By that time Prangerl was identifying
the latter two as multicoated. The X.Zuiko nomenclature (on boxes and
price lists for everything except Fisheyes, Zooms and macro lenses) hung
around until 1978-early 1979, and was meaningless in identifying
multicoated versus "single coated."

The 8mm has never had any published mention of its type of coating. The
one I used for lens testing was multicoated. It seems unlikely that it
was ever "single coated."

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV