Re: [OM] ebay Auctions

Subject: Re: [OM] ebay Auctions
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 17:14:00 +0000
At 20:32 1/14/01, Tom wrote:
I've asked sellers every question except the first one. You are right that
sometimes I have to lead them through the process, but so far everyone has
been quite nice about it.  I admit, I don't usually ask question 2.
Question 3 I always ask.  Question 4 I just ask for the serial number.
Question 5 is almost useless as the 50/1.8 value is about the same as the
body cap....

I've asked a couple of them too, including an OM-2S red/green LED query for the the body I just acquired, but not quite the way I stated them. Admittedly, it is the only way to assess value more accurately at a distance.

Did get an interesting question about a zoom lens I was selling once. The guy wanted to know if the focus shifted when the focal length was changed. Took me by surprise, but it's a fairly legitimate question for a two-touch. He had a very brief description of a test for it. Wrote him back the answer and included details on how to do the test for it more reliably.

Tried to put myself in the shoes of honest sellers who doesn't know much about OM hardware, and then get hit by these types of questions. (We) Must be baffling to them. They aren't applicable to camera equipment in general.

There's something to be said about being able to see the equipment in person and quietly inspect it for the nuances.

-- John