Re: [OM] Serial #s [was] Lens Coatings

Subject: Re: [OM] Serial #s [was] Lens Coatings
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 12:29:34 +0000
At 17:01 1/15/01, Mark Dapoz wrote:
Once again, according to the Olympus parts diagram, there does indeed
exist a Type-1 (SC) and Type-2 (MC) version of this lens.  The MC version
has all the elements/groups multicoated.  I believe an MC version would be
labelled "OM-SYSTEM ZUIKO SHIFT 35mm 1:2.8" instead of "OM_SYSTEM ZUIKO
SHIFT 1:2.8 f=35mm".  I have an SC version at home, I can check the SC
labelling tonight.
                                -mark

Also my understanding there are MC's of this lens, although there may be far fewer of them around. I believe I have an SC based on examination of the coatings and it's marked as you described for a Type-1 SC. Mine is remarkable in that there never has been a real flare issue with it. However, I do take extreme care to use the lens hood and provide additional shade for the front objective if necessary. There is a slight amount of pincushion and care is required when using it to mitigate that also. Found it in superb condition, with hard case, and use it regularly. If I could justify the expense of the 24/3.5 Shift . . . but will likely spend the $$$$ on a 50/4 Shift for the M645 this year.

-- John