Re: [OM] 6/5 versus 6/4 standard

Subject: Re: [OM] 6/5 versus 6/4 standard
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 21:41:29 +0100
On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 09:34:24PM +0100, Globtroter wrote:
> Hi, All!
> My friend is going to step into Zuiko land.
> In the very beginning he's asked me about
> 50/1,8 standards.
> Considering construction there're probably
> at least two versions 6 elements/5 groups versus
> 6 elements/4 groups (both were multicoated).

Hi, IMHO there are more different versions of thes lens.
As far as I know, is the 6/5-E version the older one,
(altough there is disunity among several data-sheet`s)

> He's particularly interested how you can
> diferentiate them. Are there any symbols
> or additional letters on a lens or number
> range tells about it ?

The older versions are recognizable at:
 chrome-ring
 labled as F.Zuiko
The earlier multicoated versions are labled Zuiko-MC.
The newer versions are label with "japan" or "made in japan"
around the front element instead of the serial number.
But I can`t say which ones are the 6/4-E versions.

You might have a lock at
http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/mc-sc.survey
to get a idea of what chagnes happened.

But don`t panic, all 1.8/50 are good to superp performers.
And because of the large amount of lenses available they
are unbeatable cheap to get.

Frieder Faig