Re: [OM] "Squiggles" in Tri-X

Subject: Re: [OM] "Squiggles" in Tri-X
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 15:27:12 -0700
At 12:16 PM 1/15/2001 -0600, B.B. Bean wrote:
>This past weekend I developed a couple rolls of Tri-X and noticed
>strange squiggles in the grain focuser. These squiggles showed up on
>larger enlargements as an unusual texture.
>
>Chemicals used: D-76 undiluted, Adorama Indicator stop bath, and
>Ilford Rapid fixer mixed 1:4.
>
>I've zoomed in on a section of a scan at
>http://www.sheltonbbs.com/~bbbean/photo/squiggle.jpg
>
>Any ideas what I may have done?
>
>Two ideas come to mind, but I don't know which is more likely:
>
>1) My darkroom is on a well, and instead of using bottled water this
>time, I used hard water from the tap. Could the well water (hard, but
>run through a softener) have had a reaction with the  chemistry?
>
>2) I had some difficulty regulating the temperature in the film wash.
>Could I have inadvertantly "cracked" the film by going from hot to
>cold or vice versa?

My vote is for (2) above, since I've made this mistake in the past myself, and
got results that were similar.  Now I'm more careful.  ;-)

If you want to regulate temperature in the film wash, you *don't* have to use
continuously running water.  Washes that are highly effective can be done with
four or five changes of fresh water, agitated or inverted (preferably the
latter) for one minute each, with a final rinse in distilled or bottled water
and some Photo-Flo (or other surface-tension-reducing agent).  By the time
you're on your fifth change, what's left of the chemicals should be close to
archivally-small quantities.

Garth