Re: [OM] Re: value of 50/1.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: value of 50/1.8
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 11:50:36 +1100
>afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes in connection with "dead" OM10's :
>
><< hands up all those who have actually bought one.
> I'll offer a prize to any list member who finds a use for the damn things.
>>>
>They are often reasonably easy to fix (switch, or sticky magnet etc) , so
>make excellent cameras for hazardous trips (river etc) or for your young
>kids.  I have fixed about three over the years. One was stolen from my son's
>photo class. So I still have two but after fixing a couple of OMPC's, which
>are better cameras, I did not bother fixing one of them which developed a
>sticky magnet.
>                  Regards,
>                 Tim Hughes

Tsk! I meant, 'bought an orphan 50mm/1.8'  - NOT bought an OM10. I've
recommended OM10's to a number of beginners.
Some stores around here have up to 15 'orphan' 50/1.8's with hopeful $50
price tags on them! This grieves me deeply for they will never find a home.
(Obviously, every OM2000 buyer should be counselled appropriately.)
We must rise up and save them. It's too much to hope that they can be used
for their original purpose, fine as they are, so what other needs could
they meet?
Andrew