[OM] .......alcohol......

Subject: [OM] .......alcohol......
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 20:12:15 -0500
tmlee asked:
What can I buy from the local pharmacy to clean my lenses with ?
What do I ask for ?  Is methylated spirit a 'no-no' ? Why ?
---------------------------------
Just use facial tissues and window cleaning solution .  (In the US,
"Windex")
Just be sure to apply the cleaning solution to the tissue first.  Don't
pour liquid on the lens and allow it to run inside.  I don't know what's
in it apart from water but do know that it contains a small amount of
ammonia.

I saw this tip in Thomas Tomosy's books on camera repair.  Works very
well and I have never been tempted to use anything else since I started
using Windex.  I used to use Kodak lens cleaner but it didn't work very
well and I could never get a streak free cleaning.  Windex is great.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA