Re: [OM] Cleaning lens lettering

Subject: Re: [OM] Cleaning lens lettering
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 00:45:05 -0600
Michael Virsinger wrote:

> Any tips on what to use to clean or restore the lettering back to it's
> original gleaming white? Also, if indeed it was smoke, will there be any
> residue on the lens surface (and what should I use to clean that)?

If cleaning doesn't work, or some of the white lacquer comes out:

There are special "lacquer sticks" made just for the purpose (priced
accordingly!) of filling in the letters of lenses and cameras -- you
just rub the stick across the letters, filling the depression with
lacquer.  Then you wipe off the excess with a tissue.  You might check
with Fargo for them.

Or try this: perhaps you remember those grease pencils from school days
-- the kind that had the string down the side that you would pull and
peel off a layer of the wrapping when they wore down or broke off?
Check with an art supply store -- I keep an orange handy to fill in the
spot and index mark on the mount of the OM's, and a black for the
shutter speed dial.  I just picked up a white one to try on the
diaphragm rings a few weeks ago.  Or customize your body -- pick up a
pink one, or blue, or tan maybe! ;^)