Re: [OM] "Squiggles" in Tri-X

Subject: Re: [OM] "Squiggles" in Tri-X
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 11:30:48 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Barry B. Bean wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jan 2001 16:53:13 -0600, clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >You might
> >want to write them and confirm, but I suspect the chemicals added by a
> >softener-system would not be recommended anyway.
>
> FWIW, my softener doesn't add any chemicals - it only pulls out
> minerals through passive filtration.

Doesn't your softener use salt or potassium?  In order to pull out the
calcium, softerners need to exchange it with something, usually salt
(sodium) or potassium.  So technically it will add one of these two
compounds to the water.  The few rolls of B&W that I've processed at home
all came out with severe grain problems, which I think is caused by the
salt added to the water from our softener.  The next roll I process I plan
on using distilled water.
                                        -mark