Re: [OM] Serial #s [was] Lens Coatings

Subject: Re: [OM] Serial #s [was] Lens Coatings
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 09:59:01 -0800
Chip S. writes, among others who piped up with useful info:

<< I am pretty sure that recent 35/2.8 shift examples are multi-coated,
if the color of the coating can be  considered a reliable guide. >>

Concerning the 35mm f/2.8 Shift:
according to the Olympus parts diagram, all 7 groups of elements got
multicoated.

I'll get my hands on some other parts diagrams to solve my remaining
questions. Thanks to Mark D. for that lead. The neat part is that it
tells us just how far Olympus went in accomplishing multi-coating.  As
we saw, the 8mm Fisheye only got 3 elements in two rear groups changed,
although the question remains how many of the unchanged elements were
already multi-coated.

Ken N. reminded us that SC doesn't necessary mean a single coating
layer. Thanks, Ken. I think that fact gets lost on those new to this
concept.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV