Re: [OM] Value of 50mm1.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Value of 50mm1.8
From: Walt Wayman <HIWAYMAN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 08:25:22 -0500
> Andrew Fildes asks if they (50mm 1.8) have any uses

A few years ago I picked up a used OM4 with 50/1.8 at a local camera store.
 I just needed another body and didn?t care whether the camera had a lens
or not.  I removed the 1.8 and stuck it in the back of the gun safe where I
store my camera gear.  After all, I had the 1.4 and the 3.5 macro 50mm
lenses and had no use for this apparently inferior lens.

Two years ago, housebound recuperating from surgery and bored to tears, not
allowed to leave the premises by the house Nazi, I entertained myself for
nearly a week by testing every lens I own, which amounted to 17 lenses for
35mm and 13 medium format lenses.  I shot one hell of a lot of Provia in
the basement.

But to get to the point.  The 1.8 was better than the 1.4 at every stop
beyond 4.0 and was nearly the equal of the 3.5 macro.  Do I have a pair of
crappy lenses in the 1.4 and the macro?  Not unless every other Zuiko I
have is similarly crappy.  Is my 1.8 better than average?  I don?t have a
clue, but I do have a lot more respect for it now and actually use it every
once in a while.  Don?t diss this lens too quickly.

Walt Wayman