[OM] To trade, or not to trade.... An Epilogue

Subject: [OM] To trade, or not to trade.... An Epilogue
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 15:10:00 -0700
Well, gang, I just got back from my favorite used-camera store.  Yes,
that OM-2 *is* a *really* nice one!  Just as it was described on the
phone, it doesn't have a mark on it except for the usual marks on the
battery and winder caps from normal application of coins/screwdrivers.
Btw, it doesn't look like it's ever had a winder on it (no telltale marks on
the base).  Looks to me like the previously owner couldn't remember
which cover was which when replacing the batter.

It seems to work pretty darned good too, although...

1.  the meter is slightly off, by 'bout 1/3rd stop.  If my freshly CLA'd OM-
2 said it was a 1/500th @ F8 shot, the black OM-2 would measure
slightly faster, just above 1/500th but well below 1/1000th at the same
aperture.  This was consistent throughout all settings in both auto and
manual mode, at least as far as I could tell.

2.  The film advance is slightly "tight."  It returns freely to the same spot
that my freshly CLA'd OM-2 does, but feels a little "tight" when you
push it the rest of the way against the body.  Everyone follow that?

Other than that, it appears to be in great shape.  Btw, I think my original
message said its serial number was in the 3K range?  Wrong!  This one
is in the 5K range...  must've either heard wrong, or transposed the
figures.  (Sigh!)

Anyway, notwithstanding that it's in really fine shape, I did NOT do the
trade.  (Again, thanks to everyone who commented!)  As was mentioned
by many, I'm planning on *using* the camera, so it will show the wear
much quicker.  Then, there's the factor of staying with what I know (and
love), instead of swapping for a body that I don't know.

I also DIDN'T buy it.  Yes, it was difficult to resist, given all the voices I
was hearing....

Black OM-2:  "Take me!  Ohhhh, puleeeze take me!"
OM-10 Quartz:  "Over here!  Take me!  I'm a great camera too!"
OM-1MD with Winder1:  "To hell with them!  Take ME!"
Lil' Internal Devil:  "Kill the sales clerk!  Take them ALL!!!"

<Grin!>

Unfortunately, though, I just CAN'T afford it right now.  And, Cori would
KILL me if I brought 'nuther OM body home.  (Hmmm....  and I wouldn't
even when the "most toys when ya die" contest!)

Anyway, as he put the CDN$495 (US$327) price tag on it, I asked him
how much he *REALLY* wanted for it?  After some humming and
hawing on his part, and "you gotta be kidding???" on my part, he said
he'd probably take CDN$302 (US$200) for it.  However, I *think* I can
get him down to US$175 (CDN$265) for it if I whine 'nuff.

So, if anyone on the list is interest in it, I'll act as middle man for no
cost.  As I said before, I'd rather NOT see it go to some unwashed
heathen who wouldn't appreciate it as much as one of us.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot...  He said if the buyer *insists* on the meter
being bang-on and the film advance being perfect, he'll have it CLA'd for
'nuther CDN$60 (US$45 or thereabouts).

So, that's it folks.  I'm a bit sad that I couldn't "liberate" that nice black
beauty, but hopefully it'll find a good home.  Thanks, again, for all the
advice and assistance!

Regards,

Chris