Re: [OM] Lycos Copyright Infringement

Subject: Re: [OM] Lycos Copyright Infringement
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 22:45:46 +0000
At 22:26 1/17/01, Simon E. wrote:
You could use non-indexed pages (don't submit your URL to search engines and don't have other sites linking to yours). I wonder if these image search robots can access photopoint folders, for example?

Simon E.

The "spiders" search an entire site. In the case of Lycos, it looks for multimedia rich pages/sites, makes thumbnails of the images, and indexes them to the image file source (not to the html page on which they appear). Aspects of this technique are legally controversial concerning intellectual property rights. There will be increasing litigation over it within the next several years.

There is a way of deflecting "spiders" or "bots" from specified areas of a site provided the wiring for it has been left in them. I don't think it's a matter of non-indexed pages. For those who have their own sites and want to do this, see the following about how to add site code that restricts what spiders can access:
  http://www.kollar.com/robots.html

-- John