[OM] OT: E-10 finally arrived

Subject: [OM] OT: E-10 finally arrived
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 11:52:36 +0800
Just want to share the happiness with you all, I just bought the E-10
yesterday at US$1700! What a beautiful camera! I have some small
observation would like to share with you especially the potential E-10
owner.

Handling

- The camera feel strong and rigid but not too heavy.

- Zoom ring is smooth but does not have the grease damping feel. When
zooming the focus do change but the camera adjust the focus
automatically even in MF mode.

- Focusing screen is bright but too fine, a bit difficult to focus,
but still okay. I can see the whole screen with my glasses on.

- Focusing ring works great, I think it works like OM101's power focus
but on a better position. The focusing speed is proportion to your
turning speed not displacement, a very good design.

- Most of the setting can be set without activate the color LCD
display, like shutter speed, aperture, white balance, +/- exposure
comp., self timer/remote, macro, AF/MF select. This save a lots of
battery power.

- Shutter, aperture and exposure comp display on viewfinder too!

- The shutter release was also received some complain for no clear
half and full press feeling, but I do found no problem, just a few
shots I already acustom to it and found it actually works very well. I
have not bias but it was help by enabling the AF focus confirm sound
signal.

Performance (preliminary)

- Noise of the camera is always an arguring point of the E-10, it do
look not as smooth as many lower price DC. But the quality is
maintained up to very low night. The noise is not shown as color cast
like other DCs act in low light, it looks like pixels with similar
color but different intensity, seems a bit more acceptable.

- At 1x mag. on screen straight lines are not solid, looks like
constructed with dots.

- AF is very fast at any lighting condition, but some mentioned it is
not so accurate sometimes, Need more time to find out.

- The brightness capture range is very wide, in many shots there were
rooms for highlight and shadow. But as usual, shadow area has more
noise. You also need some level and curve adjustments before it look
good on monitor and print.

- The color of the pictures look very good, no more Disney color as
someone has mentioned. It was reported by dpreview that the auto WB
was not so accurate, but anyway you can fix the WB yourself, there is
also no film that have auto WB.

- The strong point light source look fine, no observable chromatic
aberration like C2000 and Nikon 900.

- The shutter time lag is very short, claimed 60mS not including AF. I
found it really works very fast, compariable to any OM I have, there
is also no shutter vibration.

- Also, as complained by some users, the exposure is towards under. At
the beginning, the E-10 was rate at ISO50, 100 and 200 but later it
was changed to ISO80, 160 and 320. Was Olympus just change the rating
without do any adjustment on the real sensitive? Will do a more detail
checking with my light meter.

I will spend some time this weekend to do more testing on it and I'm
preparing to make a side to side comparision between the E-10 picture
and my Zuiko 35-105 with Fuji RDP III. Also, I will output some slides
and negatives with my film recorder and offer to the list as free
sample prints or slides.

If anyone has any question on the E-10, please feel free to email me.

C.H.Ling
chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx