Re: [OM] second body

Subject: Re: [OM] second body
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:53:49 +1100
>May I respectfully point out that your logic is indeed fine from a practical
>standpoint, but logic is often thrown out the window when we feel the need to
>feed our addiction! It's like this- I own a motorcycle. If I felt the "need"
>or desire to get a second one, I sure as heck wouldn't buy the exact same
>brand/model/color, would I? No, I'd get something different that filled a
>different "need" in my psyche. We "need" our OMs, I'm sure. But they're also
>our "toys". He who dies with the most toys wins!
>
>Best,
>George S.

The 'second body syndrome' came to my attention first as a 14 year old when
my uncles took me to a photo show in London (Olympia?). I saw a man wearing
two identical Zeiss "Bullseye" Contarex's (cost in 1963, UKP 230-280, or
ten times a good weekly wage). When I asked why I was told, "one for
colour, one for B&W, of course." Motorbikes are not a good comparison with
bodies (lenses would be better - different for different uses).
My first body is an OM2sp - my second is an OM1 black original with which I
keep a 50/1.8 and my 'new' 85/2, because B&W is usually for portraits. Now,
of course, I need a separate body for low-light, loaded with Fuji 800, and
another one for slow B&W and.....
Whaddya mean toys? - I NEED them!
Andrew