Re: [OM] Re: Zuiko 50/1.2 and 55/1.2 Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Zuiko 50/1.2 and 55/1.2 Lenses
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 01:46:19 +0000
At 15:37 1/16/01, Lex Jenkins wrote:
Perhaps I should clarify by saying I think the normal lens is preferable for other than head-and-shoulders portraiture. I can't think of a category for demi-length or full-length portraiture because terms like "glamour" photography seem to imply nudity or semi-nudity.

I'm thinking more along the lines of fashion photography, in which one is capturing more than just the subject's head and shoulders or face. For that I prefer a normal lens, and would really prefer an f/1.2 if I could afford it.

I generally prefer this type of portraiture for the context. A person is more than just a face.

I think some of what you are talking about is called "environmental" portraiture . . . something that shows what the person is or does . . . and is more than their likeness. In these, a 50mm can used if one keeps no tighter than a 1/3 shot. There is still a danger with unnatural perspective from a standard lens, even with a 2/3 shot, the most common being if the subject is seated. It requires care in composition that the focus distance does not become short compared to the distance between elements of the subject . . . unless it is intended for effect, which must be done carefully. (Andrew Fildes' image is a good example of successfully using unnatural perspective from a short lens for effect.)

-- John