Re: [OM] Airport X-Rays ???

Subject: Re: [OM] Airport X-Rays ???
From: bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 12:44:39 -0800
At 02:24 PM 1/18/01 -0500, you wrote:
>This subject has been covered extensively in recent Pop Photos. The short
answer is, yes airport X-RAY's can damage film, esp. high speed film. This
damage is cumulative. Your best bet is to put your film in clear plastic
bags and ask for a hand inspection. Your second best bet is to send your
film through the X-RAY machine at the terminal and take your lumps..
Protective bags were discussed, but have issues with efficacy, capacity and
cost. Your WORST alternative is to put your film in your checked baggage.
Airports have installed or are in the process of installing high-power
X-RAY machines for checked baggage as an anti-terrorist measure. These
toast your film!

Just to add to the above I chatted with a pro from Nat'l Geo who runs his
film (under 800) through the hand luggage scanners (in North America) and
said to me "don't worrry about it". Higher speed film he asks for hand
inspection. Just as a side note on the last couple of trips here in Canada
when I insisted on hand inspection (clear baggy out of boxes) the security
personnel retaliated by going through my camera bags and physically
inspected (caps removed etc etc) every lens, body, accessory etc - added
10-15 mins to security check. YMMV.
Barry H