RE: [OM] 50mm Lens Versions (again)

Subject: RE: [OM] 50mm Lens Versions (again)
From: Ángel Lobo <angel.lobo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 12:44:54 +0100
John, thanks for your answer.

There are " three " different inscriptions on the lenses 50 1.4 for " four "
different lenses.
The lenses sigle coated ( G. Zuiko) are Chrome or Black, and theese two
lenses are very, very different on coating and performance. (Dramaticaly
different). I ask some times to Gary Reese if the lens tested on his site as
"single coated" is Chrome or Black, but he don´t remember this.

Exactly the same happens on the chapter 50 mm f 1.8. The two lenses single
coated,( both "F. Zuiko" ), Chrome and Black,  are dramaticaly different on
the coating colour and (more important) on the performance.

On my opinion (several tests outdoor), the lenses 1.8 and 1.4 single coated
Black are good lenses, even very good lenses. Not the same the lenses 1.8
and 1.4 single coated with Chrome rim (the first ones).

I asked to you concerning some tests indoor-outdoor with the lenses 50mm 1.4
because I test almost two times on the year the lenses 1.4 and 1.8 for take
my own conclusions and for contrast and complete with the tests of Gary
Reese (very different system). Well, on the lenses 1.8, my tests say that
the best 50 1.8 is the lens "Zuiko MC" (early multi coated) . Exactly the
same happens on my tests with the lenses 1.4, the best for me is the lens
"Zuiko MC" (early multi coated).

On the past I have three lenses 1.4 "Zuiko MC" (7##.###, 8##.### and
9##.###). Now I have only the 9##.###. Concerning
the lens >1000 000, I have the two I know: 1 010.### "Zuiko MC" and
1112.### "Zuiko" ("Japan"). No one of theese two lenses are for me excellent
lenses watching with attention the slides. I don´t want to say nothing
concerning the performance on lines / mm and other tech. tests. I´m only
talking about the general view of the picture test done on "the real life,
outdoor". The two kind of lenses 1.4 > 1000.000 show a rare kind of flare,
not so neat. For this I have interest on to know your tests indoor-outdoor
with the 1.4 lenses. (And the tests of other List members,or course).

Ángel Lobo.
Cuenca  ( Spain )