[OM] Lessons using a Zuiko 500mm reflex

Subject: [OM] Lessons using a Zuiko 500mm reflex
From: B Gray <bandvg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 18:06:48 +0000
Hi
I said last week that I would report after seeing the results from a roll of film exposed largely with my new toy. The results clearly told me that I have a lot to learn but I got useful pictures which I would not have got with a shorter focal length. In particular, my current expertise in fast focussing at relatively low light levels (exposures 1/30-1/125s at 200 ASA) is really inadequate for photographing lively small birds like blue tits, while a lunar eclipse was also challenging for me. Most of my pictures were taking from within the house through windows, sometimes open, sometimes closed, and I was surprised that the results of resting the camera + lens against a window frame are often at least as good as when I used a tripod. In particular, I suspect that I learned the hard way that pressing on the shutter release by hand (or using 'B' ) instead of using a cable remote, or the timer, is not always a good idea when the tripod is standing on carpet. I got a picture of the almost eclipsed moon showing the deep red colour but it looked like a double exposure (grrh). Someone on this group once said that the technical perfection part of photography was the easiest part - maybe, but some of us would like to consistently achieve that stage! One consolation is that the eclipse photographs clearly confused the automatic printers in the processing lab that the local chemist uses - the photographs exposed using spot/manual with my OM2SP have been printed as a very bright moon on a pitch black background and I will have to see if a more professional lab can produce prints which reveal some of the surface detail that was clearly visible to the naked eye when I took the pictures. However, I did get a clear record of the eclipse with images of the moon which are 21mm diameter on 6inch by 4inch prints without any enlargement. Lots more to learn by practice and from the gurus on the list (I have already bought faster film)!

Brian

PS: On pressing send Eudora told me that the above was liable to offend readers. I don't see why. Let me know if you do.

UK
brian.gray@xxxxxxxxxxx