Re: [OM] Rangefinder cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] Rangefinder cameras
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 02:31:24 -0000
Frieder Faig wrote:

> > Uff, Colin,  have a 35 RC. But it is broken. I`m thinking about to have
it repaired, because
> > I4was impressed  of the sharpness of the lens. Now you are writing that
the
> > 40mm  F/1.7 is by far much better. What the hell of lens it must be?

Ian A. Nichols replied:

> Opinion does seem to be divided on this one.  I have an RC and an RD,
> and I prefer the RD.  I wonder if Simon Evans has revised his (contrary)
> opinion in the light of his second RD ..... Simon?  (I think it was
> Simon, but I've been known to lose track of these things).  I think I
> prefer the slightly longer focal length of the RD lens, too.

'Tis I who has both. (The RC has the slightly longer focal length at 42mm to
the RD's 40). My second RD has a sharper lens than the one I originally
tried but I can't say that it's clearly better than my RC. Mechanically
though, I think the RC is considerably more robust and reliable. Both RDs
that I've tried have had problems whereas two 35RCs have had only trivial
user-fixable ones, and that includes one received in very neglected
condition with a furry battery, leatherette hanging off, etc., but it
responded immediately to a bit of 'doing up.' I still haven't put a film
through it yet - too many "new" OM and Kiev bits to play with. I did take
the RD out a couple of weeks ago in the snow to finish off the film that had
my intended TOPE Abstract entry on it, but the shutter release refused to
co-operate in either Auto or with manually selected apertures until I got it
back home, an episode that did nothing to improve my opinion of it.

On the same day in the same snow I finished off films in my GR1, a Kiev 4
and took a few photos with my OM-2n and 50/3.5 macro, none of which were
affected by the cold. My brain was though - remembering that I should
compensate for the brightness of the snow, I turned the dial on my GR1 the
wrong way!

Regards,
-Keith