Re: [OM] Why Not?

Subject: Re: [OM] Why Not?
From: "Michael S. Williamson" <mikew@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 22:23:37 -0600
>On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, mikew wrote:

>> Okay, here it is:  Why can't the negatives be copied to CDs?  My
>> (simplistic, no doubt) thought is that with using a negative, you don't
get
>> into all of the subjective aspects of using a negative to generate the
print
>> on the CD.  Just copy it out there with no adjustments.  Maybe allowances
>> would have to be made for variations in negative density, but other than
>> that, just put it on the CD as is.  Now I don't need a fancy schmancy
>> (shmancy?) film scanner.

and then Ian asked:

>Erm, Mike, how do you propose to get the negatives onto the CD *without*
>using a fancy schmancy film scanner??

to which mikew now replies:

Sorry I wasn't clear about that part.  I would want the businesses currently
putting photos on CDs from negatives that they scanned to offer the service.
Ideally (for me anyway) this would be just another option at time of film
processing.  It would be their fancy schmancy film scanner.  :-)

Mike