[OM] [OT] The SRT101 drama and massive amounts of egg on my face

Subject: [OM] [OT] The SRT101 drama and massive amounts of egg on my face
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 06:21:57 -0500
Many folks have been kind enough to send me various bits of advice on
handling my SRT101 problem and Tim Hughes went to far as to send me 9
pages of TIFF images from an SRT101 repair manual. (much nicer than the
factory Oly OM-1/2 manuals by the way).  Thanks, Tim!

And now I have to admit to having great quantites of egg on my face.  As
I started reading the firt page he sent I noticed "Check also if the
mirror comes down when the mirror release lever and the MIRROR LOCK
RELEASE LEVER are released...".  I said to myself: "What? This camera
doesn't have a mirror lock mechanism!"

But it does... and it was (you guessed it) locked UP.  I obviously did
it myself so long ago I didn't even recall that the camera has such a
control.  Sheesh!!  What a dummy I am!!  Please, all feel free to LOL.

Lesson learned the hard way (as ususal).  When it doesn't work don't
assume the worst.  First, go back to the very basics... and second,
don't release the shutter tensioning pawls while skipping step one.  LOL
again.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA