Re: [OM] OM Zoom lens

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Zoom lens
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 10:17:47 +0000
Tom left out two zooms covering the same range:

35-70 f/4
This is one of the "S" economy lenses along with the 35-70/3.5~4.5, but with constant aperture wide open. Also much better than the "Cosina in Oly clothing."

35-105/3.5~4.5
Has the range you asked about plus another 35mm at the long end. Bigger and heavier than all but the 35-80/2.8 (by far the heaviest of the lot). It has high contrast and excellent resolution with very little distortion. I was surprised by it. For me, the additional 35mm at the longer end was worth the added weight. I kept wanting just a little more than 70mm. It also has a "close focus" ring which is a helical that locks at each end of travel, and works like a short extension tube.

I agree completely with Tom's observation about the 35-70/3.5~4.8 made by Cosina and cloaked in Olympus logo. If only it were a bit heavier, it would make a good doorstop too.

-- John